Friday, February 1, 2008

My Apo

Tonight I am going to have a farewell dinner for my Apo; she came to work for us when I moved to Shanghai when I was two or three; 17 years later she's going back to her home village of Zhejiang, near Ningbo in Zhejiang Province. She stayed on after I went back to the States to take care of the household for my grandmother; she's become very close to the family and is the best cook I know in the entire world. The World. I am not exaggerating.

So with the snow; we're not quite sure if she actually is going home tomorrow, but I want to see her anyway, because she's been a constant in my life. I always associated a few things with going to China as I was growing up: My grandmother, the apartment at 84 W. Y. Road, and Apo and her cooking.

Now my grandmother is gone, my Apo is leaving, and the apartment will never be the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails